April 10, 2018
An optical fiber is a cabling technology which uses lights to carry data and voice telecommunications over small and greater distances. Optical fibers have a core which is surrounded by cladding layer which is made up of dielectric material.
The two types of optical fiber cables are as follows-
• Multimode fiber
• Single mode fiber
Single Mode Fiber is used for long distances while the Multimode fiber is used for shorter distances. The laser is used as the light source in the single mode fibers while LED is used in the multimode fibers to create the light impulses.
Earlier copper cables used to be the best choice for communication, networking, and telecommunication but now optical fibers are becoming a greater alternative. Optical cables carry more information than the conventional copper wire because of its higher bandwidth and faster speeds. Also, fiber optics is not subjected to any kind of electromagnetic interference and signal losses because glass doesn’t conduct electricity. Fiber optic cables are thinner, stronger, and lighter than copper cables and hence they don’t need to be replaced or maintained frequently.
Here are the benefits of fiber optic cables over the copper cables-
• Higher Bandwidth- Copper cables are generally designed for voice transmissions and hence have limited bandwidth. The fiber optic cables have the capability of carrying more data because of their higher bandwidth. It is also known that the single mode fiber delivers twice throughput as delivered by the multimode fiber.
• Faster speeds- Fiber optic cables have a core which carries light for data transmission. It allows the optical fibers to carry data at a speed which is just 30 percent lower than the speed of light and a lot more than the copper cable wires. Optical fiber cables also face less signal degradation.
• Reliable transmission- Optical fiber cables are immune to temperature changes, moisture, and severe weather changes while all of these are the main reason behind the degradability of the copper wire cables. Since there is no current in the optical fiber cables these are not bothered by electromagnetic interference. You don’t need to worry about any fire hazard which was the problem with the copper wires.
• Travel longer distances- Fiber optics have the capability to travel much longer distances than the copper wires. The distance actually depends on the wavelength, type of cable, and the network.
• Thinner wires- The optical fibers are thinner and sturdier. These are much lighter in weight. The optical fibers have the capability of withstanding more pressure and hence are less prone to damage and breakage.
The optical fibers are much less expensive than the copper wires. These wires are non-flammable and are much more reliable for the future use. Optical fibers enjoy a plethora of benefits over the traditional copper wires. These wires are nowadays used in each and every field because of the advantages they provide. Spend less and gain a lot more benefits with the use of optical fibers.